Harry found a property online that he wanted to buy, which was listed for sale through a real estate agent.  Unfortunately he only decided he wanted to make an offer the day after he left New Zealand for a 3 week holiday in Asia.  He didn’t have access to a printer or scanner while on holiday, and had only occasional access to emails.

He thought his girlfriend could sign any documents required in order to make an offer on the property on his behalf.  This was incorrect.  She could only sign on his behalf if he had given her either a temporary Power of Attorney/Deed of Delegation or an Enduring Power of Attorney in relation to Property.

Harry therefore missed out on making an offer on the property.

Powers of Attorney (whether they be temporary or Enduring Powers of Attorney) enable you to appoint someone to handle your affairs if you are unable (or unavailable) to do so yourself.  There are two types of Enduring Powers of Attorney – one in relation to Property and one in relation to Personal Care and Welfare (medical matters).

These documents are relevant to people of all ages, especially those who are often out of the country.  Talk to your lawyer about putting in place a Power of Attorney.