Rainey Collins is a family law specialist with extensive experience in a wide range of family legal issues including adoption, caring for child, divorce and domestic violence. For the family lawyers Wellington can trust, look no further.

Relationship Property

Whether you are entering into a new relationship, making arrangements in a current relationship or dealing with a former partner you may need to put into place agreements that will comply with the law and protect your property.

We can advise you as to your rights and/or obligations and what you need to know to put valid arrangements in place.


If you are going through a separation, it is not just your property rights you need to consider. We can assist you with the separation process ensuring you are fully informed in order to make the best decisions for you and your family. You will also need to know about potential maintenance obligations or entitlements and if you have children you may need advice in respect of child care, guardianship and child support.

Contested Estates

If you have been left out of a Will or not adequately provided for, we can advise as to your options. We also assist Executors of Estates manage challenges to a Will, as well as beneficiaries of Estates whose entitlements may be challenged. 


There are five general types of adoption – by a stranger, a step parent, a foster family, a family member or an inter-country adoption.  Arranging an adoption can be done through Child Youth and Family Services (CYFS) or a private organization. A private adoption however, still requires approval by CYFS. There can be lots of hurdles to overcome and we can assist with the legal process.

Caring for Children or Having Contact with Children

If you are a parent, or have children in your family that you would like to care for or have contact with, then you may need to know what options are available.  Day-to-day care and contact were previously called custody and access.

You may be wondering if you can make informal arrangements with the parent(s) of the child or do you need to make an application to the Family Court?  We can advise you as to the options available.

Dissolution of Marriage (Divorce)

You may have been married, but for whatever reason, things have not worked out and you have separated.  If you have been living apart for at least two years and you or your former partner are living in New Zealand, then you can apply for a dissolution (divorce). We can assist with the process to get your dissolution through the Court.

Domestic Violence

If you have a close personal relationship with someone (a partner, flatmate, family member, etc) and they are being physically, sexually or mentally abusive to you, then you may have grounds to apply for a Protection Order. A Protection Order lets you control what, if any, contact you have with the abusive person. It can also protect your children or other people you know. We can advise you about these Orders.

If you have had a Protection Order applied for, or granted against you, we can help with the legal process, advise you on your rights and what to do.


Related page

Relationship Property Agreements