An employee has suffered significant burns to his face and hands after coming into contact with an exposed live cable while at work. The cable had wiring exposed, and was live with 400 volts of electricity.

The District Court convicted the employer under the Health and Safety in Employment Act.

WorkSafe New Zealand stated that the employer should have identified the hazard and deactivated the wire or isolated it in some way so that no-one could come into contact with it. The employer also failed to ensure that the employee was adequately trained to work around electrical installations.

The employer was fined $38,500 and was ordered to pay the employee $12,500 in reparation.

This case emphasises the importance of ensuring that all electric systems are regularly checked to safeguard employees and other people in the workplace.