An employee of a waste management company lost his life after inhaling toxic fumes, caused by a deadly chemical reaction.

The company acknowledged that it had failed to comply with health and safety requirements, and that it exposed its workers to death. The District Court Judge found that the waste was misidentified, mishandled, and mistreated by workers who were not given adequate protective gear nor proper supervision and training. The Judge stated this was a systemic failure.

The company was fined $450,000. They also had to pay $200,000 to the victim’s family, and $10,000 to a worker who assisted the victim.


Leading law firms committed to helping clients cost-effectively will have a range of fixed-price Initial Consultations to suit most people’s needs in quickly learning what their options are.  At Rainey Collins we have an experienced team who can answer your questions and put you on the right track.

Alan Knowsley