If you have been ordered to close your business by an enforcement officer, you have a right to appeal that decision to the District Court. The Court can over turn the closure order completely or decide on conditions when allowing you to reopen.

An appeal must be filed in writing and must specify the direction to close appealed against. You must also specify the grounds of appeal and what you rely on in support of your appeal.

The appeal, along with a copy of the cease order, plus any supporting documents need to be sent electronically to the District Court (which will be open 24 hours, 7 days per week to receive the appeals). A copy of the appeal and supporting documents also needs to be served on the enforcement officer.

The enforcement officer then has to reply to the appeal and specify the grounds why the cease business order is justified.

The Court will then notify a Judge of the appeal and a date and time for the appeal will be set. Appeals may be by audio visual link as directed by the Court.

If you are the subject of a cease business order it pays to consult a professional experienced in this area.

Alan Knowsley

Gender Equality
Super Gold Card 

If you are a New Zealand Super Gold Card Holder (Australian Senior Cards do not qualify) we will give you a 75% discount off the fee for one of our set fee 1 hour initial consultations. We will also give you a 17.5% discount off the first matter we handle for you and then 12.5% off any subsequent matters for you.  These discounts relate to your personal matters only (i.e. not business, trust or organisational matters or the sale and purchase of investment properties).

To receive the discount please let us know if you are a New Zealand Super Gold Card Holder.