The District Court has ordered a contracted electrics company and an inspector to pay over $90,000 after health and safety breaches resulted in three employees being electrocuted.

A building company contracted an electrics company to install a temporary power supply onsite for its employees.

The company installed the power supply, but the quality of work was poor. The building company then paid an inspector to ensure that the work was done correctly, and that the supply was safe to connect to the main power grid.

The inspector failed to note the poor workmanship and approved the connection.

Two of the building company’s employees were electrocuted when they attempted to use the power supply. The electrics company sent an employee to investigate the incident, and he was also electrocuted.

Energy Safety noted that the injuries were a result of negligence by both parties involved in the equipment’s installation and inspection.

The electrics company was ordered to pay a fine of $77,350. The inspector was ordered to pay a fine of $15,000.

The building company was not fined because contracting specialists to perform the task, and to check on the quality of the work done meant that it took all reasonable steps to ensure the health and safety of its employees.

When installing dangerous equipment it is important that all individuals involved ensure that best practices are followed. Failure to do so may put the lives of others that use the equipment at risk.

If there are concerns about the safety of equipment that has been installed at your workplace, it is wise to speak with a professional experienced in the area.

Leading law firms committed to helping clients cost-effectively will have a range of fixed-priced Initial Consultations to suit most people’s needs in quickly learning what their options are.  At Rainey Collins we have an experienced team who can answer your questions and put you on the right track.